Great Stories for Young People - Favourite Word – GREAT!!!!! GREAT!!!!! GREAT!!!!!
How many times has great been used on this page? It’s because short can be just that GREAT.
“Find the key emotion; this may be all you need know to find your short story.”
F. Scott Fitzgerald
Put your bum on that seat and write.” says Eoin Colfer great international best-selling author of Artemis Fowl who’s sold many millions of books who is also author of the 1st great short story in the Dr Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts series:-
Eleven Doctors, eleven months, eleven stories: a year-long celebration of Doctor Who! The most exciting names in children’s fiction each create their own unique adventure about the time-travelling Time Lord. Eoin Colfer has the first story in this 50th anniversary edition of Doctor Who.
Here is Eoin being interviewed by Susanne Gervay when he was on his Australian tour at Sydney Harbour.
Susanne Gervay loves writing short stories. She’s published in many different anthologies
What makes a short story?
There needs to be an idea, strong themes, significant characters, the challenge, conflict and that satisfying end which can be good, bad, or in between.
What is the driving force in Susanne’s short stories?
It’s called heart – wanting to explore the world with young people.
Why are short stories great to read?
Well written short stories are like a delicious small meal. You read, digest, enjoy, think and re-think about what the short story is about and the ideas in it. Then you’re ready to get on with other things.
A novel is more like a banquet – it can take all day to eat and digest. There’s second and third courses that you can spread out over days and weeks and even longer.
Both are great, but a short story is so delicious and very quick.
Writing for great Causes
Children’s authors and illustrators are often asked to contribute a short story and/or illustration to an anthology for a good cause.
Susanne together with wonderful authors and illustrations such as Shaun Tan, James Roy, Andy Griffiths, Terry Denton, James Maloney, Sally Rippin, Meredith Costain, Barry Jonsworth, Janeen Brian, Frane Lessac … and so many more … have contributed to anthologies for great causes including:-
Peace Story published edited by published Siobhan Parkinson and Valerie Coghlan by Nami Books South Korea, ISBN 978 89 91591 46 2 to support International Books for Young People IBBY under the auspices of the United Nations.
Short and Scary published by Black Dog Books, edited by Karen Tayleur published by Black Dog Books ISBN 9781 7420 31330 to support Big Brothers, Big Sisters.
Reaching Out; messages of hope edited by Mariah Kennedy published by HarperCollins ISBN 9780733 331 923 to support UNICEF Australia
Short edited by Lili Wilkinson published by Black Dog Books to ISBN 9781742030340 youth mentoring programs.
Once Upon A Christmas
Random Houses anthologies of stories for 6, 8, 10 year olds are treasures …
and parents won’t get bored reading these stories with their kids.
Cool illustrations, cool stories, cool 6 year olds in a BIG book.
- The BOOK – it’s big, bold and beautiful! Stories for 6 Year Olds – aaahhhh.Jumping for joy, Linsay Knight ( former head of Children’s Books Random House) did a great job on this fan-tab-ulous Stories for 6 Year Olds.Tom Jellett who is a political cartoonist for newspaper, and a kids’ illustrator has funny and fabulous illustrations -see if you can find the armadilloes? What’s that? Have to look.Some of Australia’s best ever, funny, silly, heart warming authors have written 11 of the coolest stories –Deborah Abela, Margaret Clark, Vctor Kelleher, Phil Cummins, Micheal Pryor, Janeen Brian, David Harding, H J Harper, Krista Bell, Tania Cox …. and Susanne Gervay.
- Susanne’s story ‘My Brother, Harry’ – was inspired by her kids growing up.
- Great reading where parents and grandparents, aunts and uncles will have so much to talk about with their 6 year olds and any other age kids as well.Stories for 6 year olds -edited by Linsay Knight illustrated by Tom Jellett
- ASBN 978 0 85798 481 4
- Susanne Gervay’s short story Lunar Rose in Short and Scary
- Susanne Gervay’s short story in My Dad, The Bikie & Me in Short: a collection of interesting short stories and other stuff
- Inside Peace Story